Sunday, January 20, 2013

How to Research for your Novel

So I came across this article on researching for your fiction. I find that I run into lots of things I need to research - like, how people would wake up before sunrise without technology, how candles were first made,  where names came from, etc. So here's the article I read and here are some of the points I got from it:

- You can't do too much research.
- You can write about what you know. I thought I didn't know anything, and then I thought about my major (Psychology), hard things I've gone through, my parents raise chickens and keep bees, i have brothers and no sisters (perhaps I could develop annoying brother characters in the story), I know about riding horses, I know about art. See, just make a list of your interests and you'll find some things you know about.
- You can find anything on youtube / online. He uses the example of having someone's lungs collapse from a bullet wound, and finding a youtube video of how a doctor would treat that.
- Use all your senses. Pay attention to small details in your other senses. Don't just know what it looks like in the south, but try their food, try out the seasonings they use on their seafood so you know what it's like. Listen to accents so you get a feel for how your character would talk. Know how the sea smells in your scene's area.
- Don't pack it with research. You'll find more than you need & you can leave some out.

I think it's very useful to research - and this is not just for research papers. Or creative non-fiction. I've researched for writing my novels, short stories, even my poetry - I found a specific kind of plant that has many uses, from being smoked for pleasure, to being a poison. And it fit with my poem, added an extra level of meaning. Read How to Research a Novel if you want to read more.

No comments:

Post a Comment